Tips for Getting a Restful Night Sleep
Adult workers require at least 7 to 8 hours of sleep each night to keep the immune system working at peak performance. For many employees, this may seem impossible. The experts at FusionHealth have a few tips to help your employees get a restful night sleep:
- Have a bedtime routine. A nightly routine accentuates the natural rhythms for sleep and helps make falling asleep an easier process.
- Regulate caffeine intake. Caffeine intake should not exceed 500 mgs a day and should stop at least 6 hours before bed. This will also promote better sleep quality.
- Exercise daily. Cardiovascular exercise promotes restorative sleep. Completing an exercise session at least 3 hours prior to bed ensures that the body has enough time to cool before bed.
- Reduce exposure to light at night. Sunlight stimulates the internal clock and activates the hormones responsible for keeping individuals awake. Avoiding bright lights, TV, computers, and other light sources before bed and sleeping in a dark room is a proven strategy that increases the health-promoting aspects of sleep.
- Increase sleep time. Add 30-60 minutes of sleep time a few days before any expected increase in stressful work conditions that may impact sleep.
Following these tips can help your employees get enough high-quality sleep to keep their immune systems operating at optimal performance, resulting in fewer missed days and increased productivity during cold and flu season.
This entry was posted in News.